We are all on a never ending journey through life trying to eat the right things to look and feel our best. As painful as it might be to eat a kale salad instead of a juicy cheeseburger (trust me, I know) the benefits are extremely worth it. Not only will you look good but you will FEEL great too, which considering this cold weather I could use. Here are some anti inflammatory tips for you to try:
1. Eat your fruits and veggies. Ugh yes, this again. I’m not your mother but they really do make you healthy and strong. All fruits and vegetables can fight inflammation cause they are low in fat and calories and high in anti-oxidants.
2. Eat a lot of Omega- 3 Fatty acids. This is in things such as salmon, tuna and also walnuts. If you are not a fish person try taking fish oil pills, they are equally as great!
3. Watch and try to refrain from eating refined carbs such as pasta and white rice. again 🙁 but not feeling a food coma after scarfing down a penne a la vodka would be nice too!
4. Eat more whole grains such as brown rice.
5. Eat lean protein like chicken.
6. Spice up your life. Ginger, curry and other spices have anti- inflammatory effects.
7. Peppers- yum. Peppers have antioxidants, vitamins, and lower levels of starch. It also contains capsaicin, which is a chemical used in topical creams that reduce pain and inflammation.
8. Tomatoes- cooked or raw. Tomatoes reduce inflammation in the whole body. You can also eat tomato sauce or tomato juice as an alternative.
9. Garlic and Onions- stinky but they boost your immunity.
10. Olive Oil- The compound oleocanthal, which gives olive oil the taste, has a similar effect on the body as a painkiller.
Anti-inflammatory eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner-
Breakfast oatmeal with berries, yogurt, or other topping and coffee or green tea.
Lunch could be tuna salad on 7-grain bread and fruit. For a snack, try walnuts.
Dinner could be spaghetti with turkey meat sauce, and spinach salad with oranges and walnuts.
(meals via WebMD)
Hope these tips help you start your road to good health 🙂